It's very difficult today to get a job in this tough economy. You need to think outside the box. Unfortunately, all major companies require you to apply over the Internet. This places you in a pool with many other applicants for any job listed. You need to stand out from the rest. If you know someone at the company, list them as a reference.
Go to the phone book and look up all the companies that may have a job in your field. Call them! All they can do is tell you there are no positions. It's a numbers game; the more places you call, the better your chances of finding a job. If you have a great personality, you can ask the person you talk with if they would allow you to list them as a reference. You'd be surprised, after a personable phone call, how many people will say you can list them on your job application or resume.
I looked up prospective employers on the Internet, called to get their fax number and then faxed my resume to them. I didn't even talk with anyone to inquire whether there was an job opening available. The next day, I received three phone calls from companies. I faxed over fifty resumes to get three phone calls. They were companies that specialized in an area where I've worked in the past and knew my resume would be impressive. To get a job today, you must be aggressive!
There are placement companies out there that have temporary job openings. I realize that you want a permanent job but once placed in a temporary position, if you do well the company may offer you permanent employment. I found two of my prior jobs using this method. I accepted a switchboard position with one company on a temporary assignment and several years later I was the supervisor and department head making good money.
Don't forget to include the government with your job search. Look at local, federal and state jobs on the Internet.
So, think outside of the box to find a job. Don't be like all the other job seekers but stand out from the rest! Good luck.